New publication: Democratization through ‘Cancel Culture’. On the relationship between freedom of art and emancipation
In the Verfassungsblog I analyze the controversy about “Cancel Culture” and freedom of art from a democratic and legal theoretical point of view. The argument: “Cancel Culture” does not mean the disintegration of democracy, but is necessary for its more complete realization. The article differentiates the meaningful use of the right to freedom of art and freedom of speech from its abuse by the conservative project, and for that end distinguishes the non-state, para-state and state levels of these freedoms.
Long version to be published soon
The blog article is based on the essay “Umkämpfte Kunstfreiheit - ein Differenzierungsvorschlag”, which appears in the zeitschrift für menschenrechte 2/2020, p. 95-104.
Schubert, Karsten (2020): Demokratisierung durch „Cancel Culture“: Zum Verhältnis von Kunstfreiheit und Emanzipation, VerfBlog, 2020/12/03, https://verfassungsblog.de/demokratisierung-durch-cancel-culture/.
- Contested Artistic Freedom - A Differentiation. New publication in the Journal of Human Rights, 3. February 2021
- Feuilleton Article: More Cancel Culture Please! (Sächsische Zeitung), 8. January 2021
- Video online: 'Cancel Culture. Identity politics as a threat to artistic freedom?' at the Kulturpolitische Gesellschaft, 18. May 2021
- New Publication: The Challenge of Migration. Is Liberalism the Problem?, 27. April 2021
- New Publication: Defending Plurality. Four Reasons Why We Need to Rethink Academic Freedom in Europe, 19. April 2021
2020-12-03 10:55 +0100