Lecture in Freiburg: Dr. Svenja Ahlhaus (Hamburg) talks about democracy, borders and membership. Tue, 26.11.19, 18h
We are very pleased that Dr. Svenja Ahlhaus is starting the lecture and workshop series this semester!
Tuesday, 26.11.19, 18.00 c.t., HS 3042, KG I
In democracies there is daily dispute about membership: Do naturalisation tests make sense? Should prisoners be allowed to vote? Can convicted terrorists have their passports revoked? It seems indisputable, however, that it is ‘we’ who are allowed to decide on ‘our’ borders. Against this widespread assumption, the thesis of the lecture is that membership decisions should be taken jointly by citizens and non-citizens. States are not clubs that can determine their own membership criteria, but must involve outsiders in decision-making on these border issues. But who should participate and how should decisions be taken? The lecture develops the outlines of a critical membership theory.
Workshop on 27.11.19, 9 o’clock s.t. - 12 o’clock s.t.
In the workshop we have the opportunity for an intensive discussion based on texts. The text will be sent when you register, which should be done by 20.11.19 at firstname.lastname@example.org
More about the lecture series
Further dates and background information click here.
The lecture series is organized by Karsten Schubert with the support of the team of the Chair of Political Theory, Philosophy and History of Ideas at the Albert-Ludwigs-University Freiburg and in cooperation with the Freiburger Colloquium politicum.
- CfP: Special Issue 'The Dissolution of the Liberal Consensus' of the Journal of Political Theory (ZPTh), 18. January 2021
- Audio online: Jelena von Achenbach (Giessen) explains the constitutional reasons for the Brandenburg Parity Law and why gender is a special factor of democratic representation under the German Basic Law, 20. August 2020
- Lecture in Freiburg: Prof. Elisabeth Holzleithner (Vienna) speaks on crises of the liberal constitutional state. On the question of fear. Mon, 27.01.20, 18h ct, 20. January 2020
- Lecture in Freiburg: Jun-Prof. Jelena von Achenbach (Giessen) speaks on gender and democratic representation under the Basic Law. Mon, 13.01.20, 18h ct, 6. January 2020
- The Demo as Revolt - Lecture and Workshop with Dr. Tim Wihl on 15./16.07 in Freiburg, 8. July 2019
2019-11-18 13:19 +0100