Contributing to the current debate about biopolitics in the times of COVID-19, I published a blog article on www.criticallegalthinking.com.
I propose the new concept of populist biopolitics to describe what is biopolitically remarkable in the current situation, but has been gone largely unoticed in the academic debate. We witness biopolitical shaming and normalizing by the community. Awareness of this populist biopolitics helps illuminate what is needed today: democratic biopolitics that foster pluralistic debate about proportional measures, severely limited by the rule of law and checks and balances that defend democracy against authoritarian ambitions.
Schubert, Karsten (2020): Crying for Repression: Populist and Democratic Biopolitics in Times of COVID-19. In: Critical Legal Thinking, https://criticallegalthinking.com/2020/04/01/crying-for-repression-populist-and-democratic-biopolitics-in-times-of-covid-19/
- Expert (for Biopolitics) at the Market for Useful Knowledge & Non-Knowledge @ Kampnagel Hamburg - Coronaean Times, about states, strategies and bodies in crisis, 25. September 2020
- Video online: Panel discussion on Corona, Biopolitics an Inequality @ Kampnagel Hamburg, 15. August 2020
- PrEP as Democratic Biopolitics. On the Critique of the Biopolitical Repression Hypothesis - New Publication in the Yearbook Sexualities, 9. July 2020
- Three Interviews: Queer Life and Corona / Sexism in Culture / Sex Work and Human Rights, 4. May 2020
- 2 Media Interviews: On Corona, Solidarity and Curfews; and on Sexism in Capitalism, 27. March 2020
- Video online: PrEP changes Sex. Gay Subjectivity, Biopolitics, and Democracy, Keynote at taz Berlin, 4. March 2020
- Publication: Dispute over HIV-PrEP: Stigma, homophobia and the liberation of gay sexuality on magazin.hiv, 25. January 2020
- Queer Lecture: How PreP changes sex, 7.2.20, taz Haus Berlin, 18. January 2020
- HIV in Dialogue 2019: Lecture on discourses of PrEP and biopolitics with panel discussion, 20. August 2019
- The Democratic Biopolitics of PrEP published, 9. August 2019
- Paper on PrEP at the conference "Gayness in Queer Times" at the University of Brighton, 11. June 2019